The First COST SPRINT Training School was held in
October 2-4, 2019
Please visit the Member area for photos
and trainer presentations!
The training School will take place at the Department of Anatomy, Center for Bio-banking and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery-University of Malta (UM), Msida MSD2080 (Malta)
Lying at the cross-roads of the Mediterranean, UM has been, over its 400-year history, the hub for international academic exchange on the island. UM is the leading higher education institution in Malta and its structures are in line with the Bologna Process and the European Higher Education area.
Academic research at UM provides a vibrant higher education setting in the arts, sciences and the humanities as required for Malta’s economic, social and cultural development. Courses are designed to produce highly-qualified professionals in multiple disciplines. Our "alumni" community is growing exponentially: well over 3,500 students graduate in various disciplines annually.
They are committed to high standards of research and teaching and every member of staff at UM plays an important role and contributes to an outstanding student experience.
Today UM is composed of fourteen faculties, a number of interdisciplinary institutes and centers, three schools and a Junior College. Besides the main campus, situated at Msida, there are three other campuses: Valetta, Marsaxlokk and Gozo.
The official teaching language is English.
Starts: October 2, 2019
Ends: October 4, 2019
Participants: PhD candidates, Postdocs. Please notice that the Training School will be offered to 25 participants at a maximum.
Registration costs: Free of charge, the Training School Committee will implement a selection procedure of trainees.
Contribution to expenses: 20 trainees of the total number will be eligible to receive a contribution of up to 1000 Euros per trainee. This sum is an overall contribution to the travel, accommodation and meal expenses. Note that trainees are only eligible if they have received (and accepted) the official invitation through e-COST (foreseen in September 2019).
Specific Rules and Regulations
1) Trainees are entitled to receive a fixed grant as described in the COST Vademecum
2) Trainee Grants do not necessarily cover all expenses related to attending the Training School. The Trainee Grant is a contribution of up to 1000 Euros to the overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the Grantee. Different Grants amount can be attributed to each trainee.
3) Each trainee must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu – each trainee must add their bank details to their e-COST profile.
4) Trainees eligible for contribution:
Trainees must be engaged in an official research program as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or can be employed by, or affiliated to, an institution, organization or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research.
Trainees eligible for grants:
1) Trainees from COST Full Members / COST Cooperating Member, see http://www.cost.eu/about_cost/cost_member_states
2) Trainees from Approved Near Neighbour Countries (NNC) Institutions
3) Trainees from Approved European Research, Technology, and Development (RTD) Organizations
Trainees not eligible for grants:
1) Trainees from COST Partner Members
2) Trainees from Approved International Partner Countries (IPC) Institutions
3) Trainees from Approved International Organizations, EU Commission, Bodies, Offices and Agencies
4) Other Trainees not specifically mentioned as being eligible
Registration procedure for Trainees
Application opens: July 1, 2019
Application closes: August 15, 2019
Each applicant has to register in e-COST adding his/her bank details to his/her e-COST profile and send an email the Training School Selection Committee at email@example.com with the following documents:
1. A cover letter briefly (max 1 page) introducing the applicant, previous projects, involvement in activities relevant to the SPRINT Action, motivation and benefits for Training School participation, possibility to disseminate Training School topics through education or awareness sessions within their own institute or countries.
2. The applicant’s CV (max 2 pages) including relevant publications.
Announcement of the selected trainees and the awarded contributions: September 1, 2019
Official invitation by e-COST to participate in the Training School: September 7, 2019
The Training School applications will be considered by Training School Selection Committee. The outcome of the evaluation will be notified by the Training School committee thereafter the trainees will be officially invited to participate by a message sent by e-COST.
The applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
1. Quality of projects and experience, involvement in activities relevant to the SPRINT Action, Weight 40%
2. Motivation of the applicant to participate in the Training School, Weight 30%
3. Plan to disseminate Training School topics, Weight 30%
Only applicants who have registered in e-COST, including their bank details and who have submitted their CV and cover letter will be permitted to take part in the selection procedure.
Regarding eligibility of trainees for contribution to expenses, please carefully read the "Specific Rules and Regulations" section above.